“MAKE IN INDIA” GETS ONE MORE BOOSTER DOSE India Opted For Israeli Tank-Buster ‘Spike’ Missile Over US’ ‘Javelin’because, unlike the U.S., Isreal was willing to transfer technology, thus giving a boost to PM MODI’S “Make in India
1. India had opted for the Israeli Spike MR (medium-range) anti-tank guided missiles (ATGM) following the Balakot airstrike in 2019.
1.1.Accordingly, an order was placed for 240 missiles and 12 launchers as part of an “emergency purchase” to meet immediate operational requirements.
1.2. Also, the Spike’s immense success and its utilization with nations across the world pushed New Delhi to opt for the Israeli ATGMs.
2. Designed by the Israeli company Rafael Advanced Defense Systems, Spike is a fire-and-forget anti-tank guided missile and anti-personnel missile with a tandem-charge HEAT warhead.
2.1. The Spike ATGM possesses the ability to penetrate around one meter of armor and can be operated in either “direct attack or mid-course navigation based on target coordinates only”.
2.2. Spike missile can be placed in both mountains and plains; it has the ability to target anything from four kilometers.
3. These modes enable the defeat of long-range hidden targets, with pinpoint precision, damage assessment, and the obtaining of real-time intelligence.
4. India had also procured the 4th-generation Spike LR (long-range) missiles in early December 2020.
4.1. We have has reportedly acquired over 200 Spike ATGMs through the emergency procurement route.
5. According to reports, other than India, Rafael, Israel has supplied more than 27,000 Spike missiles and systems to over 26 countries, including the Philippines, Lithuania, and Australia.