PRASHANT BHUSHAN GETS AWAY WITH Rs. 1 FINE!
1. SC Sentences Prashant Bhushan To A Fine Of Rupees One In The Contempt Case Over His Two Tweets.
2. In the contempt case taken by the Supreme Court against Prashant Bhushan for his two tweets, a bench headed by Justice Arun Mishra on Monday sentenced him to pay a fine of Rupees One, which is to be deposited with the Supreme Court Registry within September 15.
3. In case of default to deposit, Bhushan will have to undergo imprisonment for three months and will be debarred from practise for three years.
4. Justice Arun Mishra, reading out the operative portions of the order of the sentence, observed that the statements given by judges to press are irrelevant for the consideration of the sentence, as judges are not supposed to go to the press.
5. The Court further deprecated Bhushan for publicizing his statements in media before they were considered by the bench.
6.”In this matter also, we not only gave an opportunity for him to apologize but also, directly and indirectly, persuaded the contemnor to express regret. This was not heeded to by the contemnor and he gave wide publicity to his statements and gave media interviews, which further brought down the dignity of the Court”, the bench observed.
7. The bench also said that it has taken into account the “sane advice” given by the Attorney General.
8. On Aug 25, a bench headed by Justice Arun Mishra had reserved orders on the sentence in the contempt case over two tweets of Bhushan, after he refused to apologize.
9.During the hearing, Justice Arun Mishra expressed disappointment at Bhushan issuing a supplementary statement to justify his tweets after asserting his disinclination to tender apology.
Reference Link : www.livelaw.in/top-stories/breaking-sc-sentences-prashant-bhushan-to-a-fine-of-rupees-one-in-the-contempt-case-over-his-two-tweets-162190?utm_source=notification&utm_medium=izooto&utm_campaign=noti