Trump remains 2024 candidate of choice for most Republicans, poll shows
1. If the 2024 Republican presidential primary were held today, Donald Trump would be the clear favorite to win big.
1.1.That was the message from a Politico-Morning Consult poll released on Tuesday, three days after Trump’s acquittal in his second impeachment trial, on a charge of inciting the insurrection at the US Capitol on 6 January.
2. Among Republican voters, 59% said they wanted Trump to play a prominent role in their party, up a whopping 18 points from the last such poll, taken in the aftermath of the Capitol riot.
2.1. A slightly lower number, 54%, said they would back Trump in the primary.
3. Though he will be 78 by election day 2024, he will be able to run again if he chooses, having escaped being barred from office after a 57-43 Senate vote to convict – with seven Republican defections but 10 votes short of the two-thirds majority needed.
4. TRUMP’S OPPONENTS WITHIN ROUTED IN THE POLL
4.1. Mitt Romney, a figure from the Republican past as the 2012 nominee but now a Utah senator who has twice voted to convict Trump on impeachment charges, scored 4% in the new poll.
4.2. Ted Cruz of Texas, one of the senators who backed Trump’s attempt to overturn his election defeat, scored 3%.
4.3. Josh Hawley of Missouri, the other prominent Republican in objections to election results, was in a pack of names lower even than that.
5. Senate minority leader McConnell, a fierce Trump hater, has made clear that he will oppose pro-Trump candidates seeking Republican nominations in the 2022 midterms if he thinks they would damage chances of beating a Democrat.
6. Donald Trump Jr and Ivanka Trump
6.1. Twenty-nine percent of poll responders want the president’s son to be the nominee in a future election, while,
6.2. 16% support first daughter
Reference : https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/16/trump-2024-poll-republicans-most-popular-candidate?fbclid=IwAR3Z-Bi1g3ZwtOw5hUvHTaMHeOWptfAOySSa6pFQhVB253X829Ay5cv-Mkw